Me, Myself and Why?
This world certainly has its share of distractions, conveniences, technology and opportunities. As an understatement, however, at its core, the world is largely characterized by and graced with solitude, clarity of thought, peace and simplicity.
I had the rare opportunity to experience the latter last evening as a ravenous thunderstorm, packed with high winds, torrential rains and hail, ripped through my northern Wisconsin retreat, knocking out the power for eleven-plus hours.
During that time, I had the privilege to experience the peace of complete silence (after the storm had passed), the sounds of nature, the absence of technology and the effect of “time standing still”. The nearly half-day of biblical heaven served as a time for self-analysis and life review, gratitude and spiritual renewal.
Assuredly, each person is unique in personality, faith and character. For me, I choose to spend time, ideally every day, even if but for five to ten minutes, reflecting on my life, events, direction and goals. It’s a bit of a huddle with myself, strange as it may sound, but has served as absolutely profound time to ground myself as a human being, recognize all I have to be thankful for, and recommit and refocus my efforts to pursue my life goals and “readjust the sails” to stay on course.
It’s my “check the oil” time and it serves to determine that everything is ok, and if not, alerts me to whatever changes I need to make to return to that state of being.
“Without question, we all need that quick check on a regular basis to review where we have come from, where we are, and where we are headed; along with the necessary actions, mindset and change to get us there.”
Dare I say, Prayer Time. I’ll offer a new phrase as a corollary to the “build it and they will come”; for me, it is “See and Listen with your heart and Respect your Conscience”. Here is wishing you that slice of quiet time every day to remember who you are, and most importantly, why. Let me take you there…
- Solitude at the Cabin (reflectionsfromthecabin.wordpress.com)
- WakingTimes – Angela Pritchard – We’re Here In This Reality To Learn About Who We Are – 21 July 2013 (lucas2012infos.wordpress.com)
- Space, Solitude and Introverts (willowmariewrites.com)
- Open Your Heart and Mind to Peace… (creatingabetterworld.wordpress.com)
- Six Ideas for Reclaiming Your Calendar (integratedcatholiclife.org)
- Technology Taking The Place of Solitude (chiaradii.wordpress.com)
- Reflections (biancaprentice.wordpress.com)
- Maslow 101 PART 5: It’s Not About Nostalgia; It’s About Life Review (agelessmarketing.typepad.com)
Posted on August 22, 2013, in Natural Beauty, Personal Growth, Philosophy, Truths, Videos and tagged Change, Conscience, life goals, Life review, Peace, prayer time, quiet time, reflection, solitude, spiritual renewal, storm, Wisconsin. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.