Is Spirituality the Zeitgeist of our Lifetime?
Fads come and go, movie stars flash and burn, new products are created and devolve into the ether… so what makes a construct like Spirituality not only become popular, but dominate an era of humanity?
Perhaps it’s the mystery of the supernatural, or the need to address desperation, or the fascination with the Hollywood-like nature of the imagination. For this human being, it is the reality (note, I did not say probability) of the Truth and the desire to serve a God that is good, forgiving, loving and kind.
For each of us to flourish as intelligently designed human beings, we must acknowledge, accept, determine and develop the spirit and essence that defines us in eternity and to each other.
“Profoundly, to acknowledge our eternal spirituality and nature, is to likewise, acknowledge the existence and magnificence of God!”
What more noble purpose could there be in life?
Throughout the sundial of humanity on Earth, various modes of thought dominated specific era’s as approaching storms on the horizon:
- Cretaceous (Prehistoric Survival of the Fittest)
- Crusades (Religious Wars)
- Witchcraft (Sorcery & Black Magic)
- Renaissance (Art & Culture)
- Darwinism (Origin of Species)
- Age of Enlightenment (Scientific Method)
- Great Awakening (Christian Revival)
- Manifest Destiny (Westward Expansion)
- Industrialization (Mechanical Automation)
- Civil Rights (Social & Economic Equality)
- Extraterrestrial Life (Space Exploration)
- Digital Revolution (Electronics & Technology)
As each of these examples appeared, developed and either left or evolved; at the time of their dominance and/or popularity, they were commonly accepted as the current norm and “Way of Life”. By this, I mean that they went largely unchallenged and were deemed as the “Truth” by society in general.
In the past 30-40 years, a theme of Religious Enlightenment has been slowly building in presence and frequency as does a time-lapse photograph of a maturing tree. As it occurs, one doesn’t really grasp the brevity of the unfolding trend until it reigns in ubiquity like the “dog days of summer”.
And so it is presently with regard to Spirituality. Indeed, as “Art imitates Life“, it is reflected in our society’s art via the Hollywood film industry as it has produced movies including:
- Five People You Meet in Heaven
- The Passion of the Christ
- The Ten Commandments
- What Dreams May Come
- The Celestine Prophecy
- The Sixth Sense
- City of Angels
Profoundly, to acknowledge our eternal spirituality and nature, is to likewise, acknowledge the existence and magnificence of God! Be well.
“Prayer is the Ultimate Conversation”
- Wake up from your slumber live consciously and let transformation prevail (joelmlay.com)
- The Power of Prayer (everydayhealth.com)
- Zeitgeist: Awareness of the Time (world-mysteries.com)
- Spiritual Minute: God’s Whisper (annunciationblog.com)
Posted on March 13, 2013, in Personal Growth, Philosophy, Theology, Truths, Videos and tagged Age of Enlightenment, Christian Revival, Digital Revolution, Enlightenment, Extraterrestrial Life, Fad, God, religion, Scientific method, spirituality, Zeitgeist. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.