Excerpt from – Not in Vein
I’d like to share with you another excerpt from my book (work in progress) entitled “Not In Vein”. The portion below is from Chapter One – The Context of eternity. Please provide comments and feedback, including suggestions as I need input from others in the process of creating a final product.
Thank you in advance for your help. I hope it is meaningful to you as well as providing you enjoyable reading. Be well!
<beginning of excerpt>
The Context of eternity
The Incredible Nature of Life and Death
“Life is eternal, love is immortal and death is only a horizon. Life is eternal as we move into the light and the horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.” Carly Simon
Throughout most of our lives, we subsist in routines that involve and encompass sleeping, eating, working, talking, moving and physical ‘maintenance’. We have conditioned ourselves to exist in a pseudo ‘auto life’ mode.
For most adults, these activities typically consume in excess of 90% of our time every day. When you consider the importance of life itself, much less the meaning of life, this leaves the remaining pittance of 10% or 2-3 hours per day at a maximum, to be reserved for introspection and spiritual development.
That very small fragment of existence occupying our lives seems hardly adequate to do any sort of justice to our spiritual being, much less enable its growth.
Certainly, it is time that should be in high demand, well-planned and then deliberately spent contemplating, acknowledging and then, living.
Real life, indeed, is genuinely experienced within those fleeting yet precious moments of excitement, laughter, tears, agony, sadness, gratitude, humility and joy.
When you strip away all the distractions that occupy the vast majority of our time spent living, it is precisely those briefly spent memories of emotions that ultimately transcend our existence on earth, yet continuously shape our thoughts and actions in the here and now.
Strikingly, it is these experiences that create the cherished and meaningful memories that last our lifetime, and then some.
So, why is it then that we spend such a small percentage of our time attending to our emotional and spiritual well-being?
In the big scheme of things, we have allowed ourselves to become very high maintenance and very low introspective creatures that are somewhat easily distracted by our physical senses. Bachelor Pad, American Idol, Entertainment Weekly, Angry Birds, eBay, Facebook and Twitter; need I say more?
< end of excerpt>
- Excerpt from ‘Not in Vein – Miracle within my Soul’ (cerkas.wordpress.com)
- The Meaning of Life (Again) (catseyesk.wordpress.com)
- Distractions – How a Fraction has become the Whole (cerkas.wordpress.com)
- Introspection – How to Practice? (arganesh3.wordpress.com)
- Follow these steps to add meaning to your life. (daveboothby.wordpress.com)
- What is the Meaning of Life? (andreasnest.wordpress.com)
- Live in the Present (eternityineachmoment.wordpress.com)
Posted on August 15, 2012, in Personal Growth, Philosophy, Truths and tagged book, distractions, eternity, God, Life, Meaning of Life, Philosophy, religion, soul, spirituality. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.